Welcome to White Rose Pothole Club!

· Home
· AvantGo
· Content
· Feedback
· Forums
· Journal
· Members List
· News Archive
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Recommend Us
· Search
· Submit News
· Top 10
· Topics
· Trip Reviews
· Web Links
· Your Account

     Who's Online
There are currently, 48 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are an Anonymous user.

Quaking Pot 2

Quaking Pot 2


Ian Cummins, Simon Beck, Ed Tapp

A more rested team than 2 weeks before assembled at Fell Lane at 9 am, with tackle cut to size, ordered in the bags and food and drink for the day.  Knowing the way this time, we were changed and up to the entrance at 10.30 am.  We had a smooth trip down to the bottom of the fourth pitch, where I removed my oversuit and bagged the SRT kit for the squeezes ahead.  Simon took the lead and we passed the Skydive squeeze as before and continued around the not-too-tight Coitus Corner to meet the infamous Crux.  Simon went first and I attempted the much thinner Crux Bypass, attempting to squeeze down to the stream before the traverse of The Crux.  The bypass is tight, although I reckon I could have forced my way down, I decided to play safe, conserving my energy and followed Simon into the crux, lighting the way for the helmetless squeezer and offering advice.  After removing his Jean sawn-offs mid-squeeze, Simon was through and crawled back under the traverse in the stream to pull the bags through the bypass slot.  My turn next and with my minimal bulk I was soon through.  Basically we traversed vertically until next to stal curtains and descended diagonally to the stream, with enough room here to sort things out.  From here to the next pitch is hard work – all narrow passage, mostly crawling and a pig to carry the gear through.  Finally after a high level traverse, we reached the handlined 5th pitch, down the twisting, slippery rift.  We extended the fixed rope here, as the terrain is very slippery.  It was hard to see the way on here, in the complex rift passage, but Ed traversed ahead and made a couple of squeezes down to the 6th pitch, the second squeeze being a scary drop for the leader onto the narrow pitch head, again bearing a fixed rope, although we placed our own for the slightly wet free hang into more spacious territory.  Amazingly while rigging here, a large bat flew very close by – given the presence of the avens here, there must be a narrow connection to the surface.  Whilst not contemplating a dig here in order to beat the cave into submission, this could possibly be an entry for a rescue one day!  The fine 7th pitch follows, again with a fixed rope, this time in good nick.  Next came the wettest part of the cave, with immersion in water necessary to pass the twisting W-bends, followed by the slippery climb up to the Fly Crawl, again with a mucky fixed line, although we continued to carry our own ropes to be sure.  Fly crawl again involved a few immersions in pools along the way until the head of the next pitch into the large chamber of Bridge Hall.  Rigging to large stals with my rope, we abseiled down the steep, rubbly slope.  From here the quality of caving deteriorates, with muddy, blocky terrain, leading down filthy slopes into a final stream section to the last pitch.  The final chamber, Gormenghast, is a grim rubbly chamber, with a little water running into blocks in the floor.  Amazingly someone has a dig in the streamway above, unfortunately despoiling the place with discarded expanding foam from a dam-building attempt, I presume. 

After more chocolate, drink and a quick rest, we began the return journey.  It took 6 hours to reach the end and although we knew the route now, carrying 3 tackle bags out was obviously going to be hard work.  Passing The Crux seemed easier on the way out for me – basically more of a horizontal traverse this time – although I had a bit of a fright when I was in the lead and missed the line up and continued crawling until I came to an impasse and had to reverse to the correct spot.  After the last major strenuous section to the foot of the big pitch, Simon went ahead and exited, whilst me and de-rigged, fighting the bags on the final twisting sections.  We emerged at 11=15 pm, nearly 13 hours after entry, to find a very cold Simon huddled in an Inglesport bag out of the cold wind and made it back to the cars at midnight.  It was a shame to miss the pub, but a great experience nonetheless.  This was not fun caving in the mould of Juniper Gulf, Dowbergill or Ireby, but a big physical and mental test.  Without gear to carry, bottoming the pot would be a reasonable 6-7 hour trip, but the long gear haul is a big stamina test.  Needless to say, after this experience, most other trips will feel like fun.  All in all the day was a great experience and thanks to Simon and Ed for good humour throughout and for sharing the lead and carrying the gear.  Would I do it again – I don’t know!


Trip Date: 23rd March 2007
Added: 26th March 2007
Reviewer: Ian Cummins
Hits: 2037


[ Back to Reviews Index | Post Comment ]

White Rose Pothole Club

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments and photos are property of their posters, all the rest © 2006-2015 by WRPC.


This webite is based on PHP-Nuke v7.9.
Enhanced, configured and modified by StartledCat Software.
PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi.
Page Generation: 0.10 Seconds